Post 16 Options and Careers
LJFS recognises the importance of careers education and guidance to prepare students for the opportunities, challenges and responsibilities they will face. Students must be able to respond to the changing demands of a technological age, adapt to differing modes of employment, develop life long learning resources, and balance work and leisure.
LJFS is committed to enabling students to understand the working environment in which they will eventually take their part. It is important for students to identify their own strengths and aptitudes. Working with students, parents and school staff we aim to build student aspirations to ensure they plan to achieve, and attain, full learning and career potential.
Independent, impartial careers education guidance is delivered in-school. Students receive unbiased careers information, impartial guidance and a curriculum relevant to the world of work. In addition, the school encourages and supports appropriate work experience opportunities and placements, as well as providing information and support to students making applications for college, apprenticeships and employment. The school’s Careers and Higher Education section in the Library is open to students.
Our careers programme builds from year to year as students move through the school. Examples of the activities carried out with students include:
- Year 7 – Careers is part of their Life Skills and Well being programme
- Year 8 – Team building, decision making and careers
- Year 9 – Subject-specific careers information and an options evening.
- Year 10 – Preparation for work experience and
- Year 11 – Impartial group careers interviews and completing CVs. UCAS application support, tracking and decision-making advice and interview opportunities
If you have any questions relating to Careers Information and Advice and/or Higher Education support at LJFS, please contact Mr Lewis at MLewis@ljfs.org